new 16v clutch Q?

On 5/24/02 4:15 AM, "Leach, Michael" <michael.leach@lmco.com> wrote:

> I just installed a new Sachs clutch and PP and one problem I have is that
> with the new clutch the clutch cable (non-self adjusting) adjustment is
> still really high near the end of the adjustable region of the
> cable.....what is the issue here  I hoped that it would return to a lower
> point now that it is a new clutch and pressure plate.....any suggestions?

Not an issue at all. It makes sense for the new clutch disc to leave the
adjustor at the top of the threaded region. This is what I find also.

Seems counter-intuitive at first, but the disc is thicker, so the PP springs
are compressed more, leaving the push rod further towards the motor, and the
clutch lever end at a higher position. Thus the adjuster needs to be at the
top of it's adustment. As the disc wears, you'll need to adjust it down, to
maintain a bit of play in the clutch cable.

As the clutch disc gets thinner, the play in the clutch pedal will get
_smaller_. If you don't periodically adjust the clutch cable, eventually
there will be no more play, and the clutch disc will glaze over due to the
slipping. Premature clutch replacement. Always keep a bit of play in the
clutch cable, as per Bentley.

HTH,
Jonas

PS: Yoda Kicks Ass