Knock Sensor Q

Actually, 10:1 engines need knock boxes because we have crappy gas... :)
VW did sell a number of high compression models in some countries (UK for
example - home of the leaded petrol holdout) without knock sensor
ignitions.

Without an ignition brain (be it the knock box of a Cis-e install) or
ignition smarts found in the motronic or digifant systems you will not
have an electronic rev limiter.  I thought I recalled some discussion
of a mecahnical rev limiter in the rotor of something, but that sounds
way too complicated and unreliable to actually be true, so I'm
guessing it was just hearsay... :)  Of course, I could be wrong.

Your stock 85 has KE-Jetronic fuel injection (AKA CIS-K lambda, or cis
with O2 feedback loop) but only TCI-H (transisitor controlled
ignition-Hall equipped) ignition.  You can rev that mill as high as it
will rev, but no more... :)

Drew