Alternator wizardry??

Ok, all you young and old and kinda in between farts ..

What are the signs of an ailing alternator?

My patient: 16V 90A Alternator, not sure if it's a Bosch since I haven't
found any markings on it yet (didn't take it out yet). Fully relayed wiring
hooked to the battery and 55W H1s.

When car is on and ideling, headlights on, they will dim and grow bright
with the change of the RMPS, along with all the other lights of the car.
It's not extreme, but noticeable that the alternator doesn't provide a
steady powersource.

When driving the problem goes away. I have checked the tension of the belt
.. can turn it 1/4. The other day I got noticeable whining from the
alternator.

Question is, shouldn't the headlights and all lights stay on at a constant
rate when ideling and not fluctuate? I'd like to get some steady power so I
don't damage the ballasts (HID) I'm waiting to install. Next step is to get
the thing tested (and replaced if I can find a decent place around here -
San Jose - that has em ((no Bosch rebuilders that I know of, and NAPA etc
... <shudder>))), but I want an opinion first.

Course, if anyone has or knows where I might be able to pick up a 96 A4 120A
with the top bracket attachment, for a reasonable price, lemme know .. then
I'll ditch this sucker.

Thanks,
Tobias