central locking ? WHY$

My guess is they looked at what other Euro car makers were using (ie
Mercedes,) decided how they could improve on the reliability (introduce an
electric operated bi-pressure vacuum pump, where Mercedes used stored
engine vacuum - meaning central locking would not function after the
stored vacuum was depleted) and went with it.

The vacuum-based CL system in general is quite robust, IMHO the largest
failing with the VW implementation is the bi-pressure pump and its
integrated control elctronics, which like any electronics submitted to the
harsh environment of the back of someone's trunk/boot is wont to fail.

A recent parts car I acquired actually had an ant farm in the pump... :)

The simplistic nature of the system makes it dead easy to retrofit -
there's only one trivial wiring harness (from the driver's door electric
actuator to the relay plate power feed to the pump in the trunk,) plus
a handful of plastic vacuum lines with rubber connectors.  Provided the
rubber is  in good shape, and the actuator diaphragms are all good, then
there are no leaks and the system works well.  The vacuum actuators are
all the same part, which makes stocking spares easy too... :)

On the VW scale of engineering feats, I give it two thumbs up.  Now, let's
talk about the brain-dead power steering belt tensioner... :)

Drew