Scirocco having some trouble when cold (long winded)

Let my give you the background on the car, and then
I'll tell you what i'm having trouble with

History:

Well I've had the scirocco for about two years now,
and its always treated me well.  Of course there have
been little things her  and there, but its been very
solid on the average.  My rocco is 1985 silver 8v bad
ass.  Its got 198,000 miles on it, and it has been
pretty solid up until very recently.  A couple of
months ago, i was trying to get rid of an idle
problem.  Although it idled around 900-1000rpm, it
would fluctuate more than a normal engine, so i
changed the fuel filter and used a fuel system cleaner
in hopes of clearing the fuel system.  The fuel filter
seemed to have not been changed in a while because the
idle stablized and I had a great scirocco for about a
month.

Current Problem:  Well, i guess all things come to an
end because i'm having troubles again.  My idle is
acting up again, along w/ some other problems.  The
idle's normal range has dropped from 950-1000rpm to
about 750-850 rpm.  This only happens till the engine
temperature has fully risen to normal operating
temperatures.  After that it rises back up to the
900-1000 levels.  I haven't adjusted the idle yet
because i don't think thats the cause of the problem.

Another issue i'm having is that when the car is cold
it hesitates badly when starting from first.  The
hesitation causes some stalling and nearly shuts the
car off if i'm not careful.

So this is my problem, and i would deeply appreciate
any input from list members.  Would these symptoms be
associated with a weak oil pump, or is maybe the fuel
pressure in the fuel too low?  Can anyone shed some
light on this situation?

--

Pepe
1985 Silver 8v