@#$&% oil buzzer................9mm pointed at dash......

On 5/21/02 9:57 AM, "Ryan Ruggles" <ryanruggles@uniserve.com> wrote:

> I've got a bad oil buzzer circuit in my dash.  I know it's a dash problem
> because even when I disconnect the sensors in the engine bay it stays on.

Did you follow the procedure in the bentley? The switch on the oil filter
flange is closed-to-ground at pressures above 1.8 bar. If pressure drops
below this, then it is open. If this circuit is open at above 2000 RPM, then
the oil buzzer will go off. Once the buzzing starts it will stay on for
quite a while, even if RPM's drop below 2000.

Try _grounding_ the wire from that sensor. If it still starts to buzz when
you rev above 2000 RPM, then there is a problem with the wiring, perhaps the
wire is bad, or the control unit could be fried. If the buzzing is gone,
then the switch is bad, or you don't have oil pressure. This switch is a
common failure.

> When I smack the dash it turns off for a while.  It is intermittent and it
> pisses me off.

Weird, dunno what to say about that. But quit smacking the dash, odds are
you'll break something else in short order.

If the problem really is in the control unit, then I'd think twice about
simply disabling the buzzer. Even if you have a gauge, you won't notice a
sudden drop in oil pressure until it's too late. If you care about the
motor, fix it right.

HTH,
Jonas