Knock Sensor Q

I'll jump in here to see if I can help,

On 5/21/02 8:35 AM, "ATS - Patrick Bureau" <pbureau@attbi.com> wrote:

> 1. so you are saying that a 8v and 16v knock box are the same identical box?

I've got no friggin clue (I know, lots of help...). Simple to figure out
though. Someone with a A2 bentley needs just look at the 8v vs 16v knock
sensor connections. If they match up, you're good to go. I would think
they're the same.

> 2. get a 16v fuel relay because it runs up to 7200

AFAIK the actual relay has nothing to do with it. The Knock box has an
output to trigger the relay, similar as how the coil would do for A1's. Once
the RPM's have exceeded a preset value (7200 for 16v and 6k-something for
8v) then the box shuts off fuel through the FPR.

> 3. because I have an 85, I will need to cut lead 11 to prevent cut off @
> 6800 EVEN if I use a 16v FP relay ?

No, your 85 is not like the 85 system he refers to. He's talking about the
GTI knock box, where you can cut a wire to bump up the rev limiter.
Otherwise the fun stops at around 6k-even.

To install a knock system in your 85 scirocco, you'll want to leave your
original fuel pump relay, and now you won't have a rev-limiter. Simple as
that. Theres a neat wiring diagram at
<http://www.volkswagen.org/EngineSwap/Knock%20Sensor%20Diagram%20II.JPG>
Notice that there's no connection to the FPR.

HTH,
Jonas