Headache's gone, thanks eh!

Well, the long saga of the non start has been resolved- and the moral is =
ASK
THE LIST FIRST. After a wrong used distributor (this car attracts wrong
parts), and a long drive to get a reasonably priced new Hall sender, I go=
 in
to see how it's coming (after numerous phone calls and a week and a half)=
 The
mechanic is under the hood with a test light and manual, still no start,
probing the harness to the brain box. I casually mention grounds and coil=
s and
starters and such things in a nonchalent manner and leave. I phone at the=
 end
of the day Friday, the service manager tells me I need a part. What part =
ask? Oh, it will be in Tuesday, a ground strap. I say "how do I get the k=
eys",
and off I drove in it today, after applying a jumper cable from the trann=
ground bolt to the battery (it fires right up). Seems I heard that from j=
ust
about all of you, and thanks, it likely saved me hours of "diagnosis", an=
d for
sure some labour, I can handle this quite nicely myself.

Did I need the Hall sender? Who knows, it does run smoother, so maybe? Th=
other was likely from the factory anyway. But I had sanded all the ground=
before, but I don't think that it ever had one to the tranny. So how the =
heck
did it ever start? And maybe it will run even stronger once the strap is =
on.
I'm tossing all of the old ground cables, and would like to join the chur=
ch of
the free electrons.

So thanks to all who replied with the correct diagnosis, and thanks to Ca=
sey
for the cheap parts source in Toronto.

Another question, when the ignition switch was changed, the headlight hig=
h/low
switch is stuck in the high position. Is this something that is overtight=
ened,
or do I need to replace the switch. It just won't click into the low posi=
tion.

But it did before the ignition switch was done.

Oh and one more quick one, I need a constant power supply for my stereo m=
emory
functions. Where can I hook into, besides running yet another wire from t=
he
battery. Thanks. And yes I know I'm annoying.

Anyway, all is well again, or so it seems. At least I have it to mess wit=
h on
this long weekend. And I can start it reliably. (and I'm still loving the=
 new
gearbox, I only have 100 kms on it) Heck, I even have hope of getting it =
Cincy now!

Cathy, 1987 2L 16V Scirocco "the silver-never-ending-pain-in-the-%$#"