Strut Bearings

A question to the all knowing and wise Scirocco list members. I am in the
process of replacing the front strut inserts and upper bearings. So far not
a problem. The old bearings were quite worn and wobbled a fair amount . I
am installing the new bearings and even though I replaced the 1/2" spacer
insert in the new bearings, there is still a substantial amount of play.
The bearing mounts are OEM replacements. The new spacers seem to fit pretty
loose in the bearing. Is this normal? One would think that once installed,
  the strut and bearing assembly should be pretty snug. Is is just a matter
of having to tighten the top nut down more? (Bentley does not state the
torque for this nut)
Suggestions welcome.

Bill
82 Scirocco (in restoration)