{16v}No spark - what to look at?

So I'm here at Julie's and we're working on the 16v
conversion.  The car had been a MESS when she first got it,
and it's come a long way.  There is now a "new" wiring
harness installed from an '88 Scirocco 16v.  Here's the
(continuing) problem.

-Turn the key to "on" and get exactly one spark.  Fuel pump
primes.
-Turn key to "start" - car cranks but no spark.

The question is, why?  I'm currently suspect of the
distributor as the hall sender plug is hanging off the
side.  (The spare is in the same shape.)  In typing this
I've realized we have access to at least one more, so I
might try that...

Otherwise, what else is telling the coil to fire when the
key is turned to 'start?'

=====
Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
'80 S, 81 S, '82, '85, & '88 Sciroccos
'82 Pickup
'90 Passat Wagon
"Never joke, taunt or dangle what might be seen as a challenge in front of the powers that be.  The universe is listening." - Lane Wallace