bad tank: that damned fuel starvation problem...

So, what is the solution for a broken fuel pick up inside the early fuel
tanks? My car starves for fuel under high-g (right hand?) turns. I know I
can just drop another tank in there and hope that it is okay. Doing that
work and crossing my fingers doesn't appeal to me, though. Is there any way
to tell if a tank in a parts car is in operable condition? Can these things
be repaired in/out of the car? For how much cost and inconvenience?

I guess the short question is, "what are my options"?

Thanks,
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut