bloody idle stabilizer screw...

Hey folks, tech question... hopefully it's something
simple that's happened to one of you folks before...
So my 85 (stock as far as I know) keeps tossing away
idle screws... i went through 4 already! I know it's
the idle screw, because it doesn't have trouble with
anything else but idling, but i can't figure out why
it would keep throwing them off... My dad suggested
that perhaps since my cams are at a slight retard (in
preparation for a turbo!!) there is exhaust pressure
entering the intake manifold but somehow i can't get
that to jive in my head... If anyone has any tips i'd
really really appreciate it! cuz my car keeps just
dying at idle and when i pull over, sure enough, it's
missing the idle screw... Ok, sorry for the length of
the post, and thanks in advance for any words of
advice.
The Turk