4k ?

--- the hitman <vwscir88@hotmail.com> wrote:
> i've got a 4k tranny that i was thinking of putting into my rocco
> when i do
> the 2l conversion, but i'm not sure i like the idea of using the 8v
> clutch
> disk. there's a difference between the 8v and 16v disc for a reason,
> right?

So called "8V" trannies use a 22mm mainshaft bearing, "16V" trannies
use a 24mm, so the mainshaft spines (where it fits into the disk) are
different.  This makes different clutch disks required.  AFAIK that's
the only difference in the disks.

> will using the 8v disc make the clutch wear faster?

Nope.

> is the 8v disc as
> durable as the 16v?

Yup.  Just use a 16V pressure plate, that's different.

i know some of you are running the 4k, wondering
> if i'm
> just better off changing the gears in my stock tranny...

NO.  Just bolt the 4k up with a 16V PP and forget about it.  VW
strengthened the mainshaft and pinion shaft in the 16V trannies.  Why,
I don't know since those were nowhere near being failure areas on 8V
trannies.  The dumbkopfs should have used bolt kits on the pinion gear,
but they chose instead to fix something that wasn't broke.

=====
Cheapass Ron
"Victor" '87 16V Scirocco
"Teufelhasen" '93 Cabby <-For sale

If it ain't foggy, TURN OFF YOUR FOG LIGHTS.