the bloodletting conitnues.

Well, here's the latest "theory" on the car's bad behavior, tell me what =
you
think. =

A recap of the symptoms- Car is a 2L/ 1.8 head 16V Rocco. The car wouldn'=
start, then we realized it would start but only as you brought the key ba=
ck
from the start to the run position, and had it hooked up to booster cable=
s as
well. The ignition switch had been replaced to correct this problem, but =
no
luck. It runs well once it does start, and right about now, I am having
fantasies about how good it would look in the crusher. I am seriously
wondering how many more parts it could possibly need. It's ranking just
slightly above the PT for reliability right now.

Diagnosis - needs a new distributor. Does this sound reasonable? And what=
 is
the going rate for one of these, new or used, because I'm not too thrille=
with what I've heard from the dealer so far pricewise. And don't bother w=
ith
the "evils of the dealer" stuff either, it's the only game in town. And I=

don't have the time to go junkyard scrounging at this time of the year. I=
'm in
Southern Ontario if anyone has one to part with.

I'd appreciate any feedback on this, is it a common failure? Should I eve=
n be
considering a used one? (If not, the car will stay parked for some time, =
too
much money for a new one, I'm still reeling from two sets of tires/wheels=
/
quaife/tranny surgery/ timing belt on the bug, etc) =

So I wonder what next week's problem will be. I love driving this car, bu=
this is getting really tiresome.

I keep telling myself this has to be the end of it, but it never is. I'm =
just
really down, not having the car for yet another weekend, this just really=

sucks. And I feel totally stupid and helpless to do anything myself to co=
rrect
the situation. So the car sits waiting to be damaged or stolen at the
dealership. I really don't know what I have done to deserve this.

On the bright side, at least I don't have the flu this weekend. And the c=
ar
doesn't have a turbo, that would blow up next if it did.

Cathy, again, a happy TDI owner.