[16V Electrical] - Gremlins man, Gremlins!

Ok,
So a couple weeks ago I get this "relay clicking"
noise when trying to start the car.  It still started
though & seemed fine until later when the relay(s)
clicked while the car was running at idle and caused
the rpms to drop.  Yesterday, while waiting for an
appointment, I'm sitting in a parking lot with the key
in the accessory position listening to the radio and
all hell breaks loose.  First the fuel pump Buzzes a
few times for a few seconds each.... just like when
you go to start the car.  While this is happening I
notice my voltage guage dipping down to 9volts.  Then,
while all this other stuff is NOT happening, I notice
my RPM needle moving around below 1000rpm though the
car is still not running.  Anybody ever experienced
this?  I'm ASSuming that I just need a fuel pump relay
with the fuel pump's involvement yesterday but some of
this other stuff is bothering me.  Oh, and this car's
wiring is not rigged in any way other than additional
grounding/positives in the engine bay so if it is not
a relay I'm feeling screwed.  TIA & please CC me
direct.

=====
Dan May - Greensboro NC
1992 16V Passat
1987 16V Scirocco
1979 Scirocco
1972 Harley Davidson Rapido(Handlebars WANTED!)
http://members.aol.com/scirocco87
"I thought I wanted a career... turns out I just wanted paychecks."  -unknown