Getting reaquainted with the Scirocco (long)

As some of you know I have "sort" of had my 80 S for sale if the right
price came along. I haven't driven the car that much over the past 2
years.. Last time I drove it was in October for a dyno day at ND. Well my
wife side swiped a post in her Passat wagon, ouch, so she is now driving my
daily driver, while her car is at the body shop. So this week I have been
forced to drive the Scirocco. This past Monday night I dusted it off, fired
it up, and took it for a little spin, to make sure everything was working
properly so I wouldn't get stranded commuting to work. Man that was fun. I
guess absence makes the heart grow fonder. The clutch cable felt a little
stiff, so I pulled it out and checked the plastic part where it enters the
firewall. Sure enough, the cable had worn a groove in the plastic. Tuesday
I pick up a new calbe and replace it Tuesday night. Driving the car on
Wednesday, the seat bottom position doesn't feel right any more. I have
Recaro seats with flofit brackets. I had modified the brackets to raise the
front of the seat bottom, so it angled back a little. Made my knee's a
little too close to the steering wheel, and would pretty much have to have
my knees spread like during a cervical exam!!. So Wednesday night, out
comes the drivers seat and I unmodify the bracket. It is sooo much better
now. Now the wheels are turning in my head for more modifications.... and
the car is no longer for sale!!

Wish list:
6 speed w/ a quaife
New exhaust. Currently have Autotech, but don't like the sound. Used to
have a Gillet, but those aren't available anymore. Anybody have a Jettex
exhaust? I'm curious about those.
New shocks. I currently have Boge Progas and Neuspeed sport springs, and
the ride is just too harsh. I recently learned that Progas are not meant to
be used with lowering springs, because as they compress they get
progresively stiffer. With shorter springs they will always be in the stiff
zone. Anyone try Boge Turbo gas with Neuspeed springs?

To do list:
Finish stitching on my door panel.
Replace hatch struts. Can generics work from Pep boys, or are factory
originals required?
Find replacement gear for drivers side electric windows

Just thought I'd share.

John