Is it me or am I crazy??????

Jason,

Yeah, but at higher speeds the preciseness of the steering and the
stability is priceless.

Try 215/45/15's on one Mk1 and
195/55/14's on my other Mk1.

Both have stock non-powered racks and fairly sticky rubber.
Parallel parking is not too much of a PIA as long as the car is rolling as
you turn the wheel :)

Randy
www.myscirocco.org