cluster has been violated

i bought a 1987 16v scirocco with a 160 mph motometer speedo.  the car didnt
work when i got it, so while i waited for parts i decided to do some custom
work.  when i pulled the cluster out (to make my own gauge faces) i could
see that someone had tampered with the electronic film on the back and taped
their own wiring in.  the clock works and the leds work, but thats it.  the
speedo doesnt work, the tach doesnt work, and the light over the speedo
doesnt work.  can anyone tell me how to fix it or supply me with another
film for the cluster?  was there a reason that someone changed the cluster
to accomodate the 160 speedo?also, my last rocco was a 1984 wolfsburg and
the lcd also had the trip meter, mpg, outside temp. etc. can i install the
comtroller from the steering column and get that stuff on the 16v or do i
need something else?

thanx,

tony