REALLY IMPORTANT ENGINE QUESTION- please help!

On Tue, 7 May 2002 19:05:02 -0700 (PDT) Robbie Cotner <robw_z@yahoo.com>
writes:
>--0-2053520985-1020823502=:9098
>

>I'm in the put-back-together stage of my '84 JH 1.8 rebuild.  I got to
>the point where I needed to put my new rod bearings on.  The old rod
>bearings were set in the middle of the rod perfectly, with about 3mm
>on each side.  On the new rod bearings, the "lip" which sets the
>bearing into place on the ride is in a slightly different spot, so
>when the bearing is put on it is off to one side of the bearing, with
>about 5mm on one side and maybe 1mm on the other.  The new bearings do
>not extend beyond the crank journals, however.  Also, the top and
>bottom bearings don't line up due to the offset-  the rebuild kit I
>ordered was the "top line" one from JC Whitney, all other parts have
>so far matched up.  Should I order new bearings from Potter or use
>these, or maybe reuse the old ones?(how bad is that, I assume bad).
>Please help, I'm in kind of a hurry to get the engine back together-
>
>thanks in advance,
>
>Rob

First of all Rob, being in a hurry is the quickest way to fuck yourself.
Take your time, do it right the first time. You will be glad you did and
so will your wallet.

Next, JC Useless should not be used for bearings. Stick with factory
stuff here. Get it from Potterman or Mark. They get factory parts at a
much better price than the stealerships. Id send those bearigns back
myself. They're obviously WRONG. BAD. WRONG. Dont use them.

Dont reuse your origional bearings either. Get NEW factory bearings.

Take your time here, do it right. Be patient. ZEN baby.

Shawn Méze
86' Jetta GLi 8V   88' Corvette -SS 30- 2001 SDR Solo2 Champion
82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 54-   79' "Project FSP Scirocco"  84' Scirocco 8V
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco(s) in all of
San Diego!

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.