16V oil pan

------=_NextPart_000_006B_01C1F5BE.35EB77E0

I changed the oil pan gasket today. THAT SUCKED BIG TIME. First the =
gasket had not been changed ever!! I dropped the pan , after draining =
the oil of course, the old and original gasket was cooked ! I had to use =
a razor blade to scrape it. I found metal shavings stuck on the bottom =
of the oil pan. Thay look like cast iron really soft , few looked like =
aluminum though. After seeing all this crap, I took off the mesh screen =
at the end of the oil pump. Voila, it was 50% clogged with some strings =
of orange silicone and more metal shavings. I soaked it in gasoline and =
put it back along with some 15-40 oil.
I guess oil changes don't get rid of the metal crap that's created after =
the engine has been broken in. I am pretty sure these metal shavings =
date back to 1987, most of them were stuck at the oil pan. The clogged =
screen may explain why some readers have oil pressure problems when =
switching to thicker oil.  BTW, does anybody know if I am supposed to =
re-torque the oil pan bolts after couple of days?
Demetri

------=_NextPart_000_006B_01C1F5BE.35EB77E0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I changed the oil pan gasket today. =
THAT SUCKED BIG=20
TIME. First the gasket had not been changed ever!!&nbsp;I dropped the =
pan ,=20
after draining the oil of course, the old and original gasket was cooked =
! I had=20
to use a razor blade to scrape it. I found metal shavings stuck on the =
bottom of=20
the oil pan. Thay look like cast iron really soft , few looked like =
aluminum=20
though. After seeing all this crap, I took off the mesh screen at the =
end of the=20
oil pump. Voila, it was 50% clogged with some strings of orange silicone =
and=20
more metal shavings. I soaked it in gasoline and put it back along with =
some=20
15-40 oil.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I guess oil changes don't get rid of =
the metal crap=20
that's created after the engine has been broken in. I am pretty sure =
these metal=20
shavings date back to 1987, most of them were stuck at the oil pan. The =
clogged=20
screen may explain why some readers have oil pressure problems when =
switching to=20
thicker oil.&nbsp; BTW, does anybody know if I am supposed to re-torque =
the oil=20
pan bolts after couple of days?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Demetri</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_006B_01C1F5BE.35EB77E0--