which tranny?

>what would the difference between the 4k and the 9a be? the little
>chart on scirroco.org says they have the same gearing, is this right?

Note that the chart also shows that the 4k has a 3.94 ring and
pinion, while the 9a has
a 3.67.  I think you'll be happier with with the 4k with a (at least)
.80 fifth gear swap or
(at most) a .75 swap.   I wouldn't go taller then that for a fifth.

The higher numeric final drive will accelerate the car more quickly
through each gear as
compared to the 9a, but you will not be going as fast in MPH at that
rpm.  Use the
speed / RPM calculator on in the gears section of scirocco.org to see
what I'm talking about.

Time-wise, the 4k probably makes a for a quicker car, but gear
changes cost vital time
in a spint...probably more driver dependant then anything...except
raw power. :)

==Brett

\/\/ '88 Scirocco 16v (Show), '92 Passat 16v (Winter+) | - brett@netacc.net