Poor-Barely Running Scirocco

--- Arthur Hunt <Arthur.Hunt@sas.com> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>   I am trying to diagnose a problem with my Scirocco
> Track Car.  Here's what it does, and what I've done about
> it.  It will start and run fine until it warms up.  Once
> it warms up, it starts to loose power, requiring more and
> more gas to keep it running.  Watching the EGT, the
> exhaust temp starts out at ~1100 degrees F.  and as it
> starts to loose power, the EGT starts to drop steadily
> down until the car finally dies at around 450 deg F.  I
> suspect a bad ground somewhere and have replaced all of
> the ground cables, and cleaned all of the contact point.
> Still, if I take my multi-meter, set it to the lowest
> voltage setting, connect the positive wire to the
> negative battery terminal and the negative wire to the
> car chasis (ground) I am seeing a slight voltage
> indicating bad ground somewhere.  I have replaced and
> cleaned the negative battery wire, the ground strap from
> the firewall to the engine, the ground strap from the
> front frame rail to the transmission, the ground strap
> from
> the lf fender to the hood.  I even added an additional
> ground strap from the RF fender to the engine.  Someone
> told me that this was typical behavior of when the fuel
> pump relay was going out, so I replaced that too.
> Nothing seems to have helped.  Has anybody seen this
> before?  Any other ideas?  I hate to do it, but I may
> have to take it in to a professional this time =B-O...
> 					Thanks,
> 					Arthur

Sounds like possibly either a bad O2 sensor or control
pressure regulator.

=====
Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
'80 S, 81 S, '82, '85, & '88 Sciroccos
'82 Pickup
'90 Passat Wagon
"Never joke, taunt or dangle what might be seen as a challenge in front of the powers that be.  The universe is listening." - Lane Wallace