[tech]: hemmorhaging oil-->bad noise

On Thu, 02 May 2002 18:50:03 +0000 "Michael Abatzis"
<abatzis2@hotmail.com> writes:
>changed the oil today. started the car for about 30 seconds (maybe)
>till i
>heard a high pitched noise, looked at the ground, and saw $20 of mobil
>1
>there. the gasket from the old filter hadn't come off with the filter.
>fixed
>it, filled with new oil, and now there's an ominous low pitched
>knocking.
>not incredibly loud, but definitely noticable. did i fry a bearing?
>what
>should i do now? sigh...
>-michael

Id say with my best medical advice, YEP.
if it is rod knock, it will only get worse as you drive it. The ability
to repair this before the crank gets fragged is now. if you let it go, it
could destroy the crank. Best case is you polish the rod journal and
replace the bearing. Otherwise your looking at a larger repair.

Shawn Méze
86' Jetta GLi 8V   88' Corvette -SS 30- 2001 SDR Solo2 Champion
82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 54-   79' "Project FSP Scirocco"  84' Scirocco 8V
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco(s) in all of
San Diego!

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.