my clutch problem: the mechanics input

On 5/1/02 9:15 PM, "Chris DeLong" <green536@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Ok well lets try this guys before we send him out to take his tranny off
> again.
>
> I dont remember who it was with the original problem but go out and check
> your tranny code. If it is a tranny with the larger mainshaft then it would
> be VERY difficult to install an 8v disk and then slap the tranny back in. At
> least that way you can eliminate one factor easily.

Tony M. is the one with the original problem. He stated that the tranny is
from an 84 8v donor, but checking the code is probably a good idea.

> Does he have the receipt for the new disc? If so then maybe he could check
> the part number to see if he bought the right one.

Well, the original 16v motor siezed up, and the clutch on it was reused on a
rebuilt 16v motor, so I don't think there's any reciept around. Unless the
original 16v had it's tranny/clutch swapped to 8v spec at an earlier time,
the ASS-umption is that it's a 16v disc.

Tony, check the tranny codes of the tranny in there, and on the one that was
mated to the siezed up 16v motor (if it's still around). That should settle
it.

The puzzle really fits. Grinding noises when clutch pedal is pressed, but
_only_ when gear is selected. No noise when in neutral regardless of clutch
engagement.
  Tranny worked fine in donor car, clutch worked before R&R'd. Confirmed
correct install.

At this point I'm worried that the input shaft splines are chewed up, but
we'll wait and see.

Jonas