my clutch problem: the mechanics input

Ok well lets try this guys before we send him out to take his tranny off
again.

I dont remember who it was with the original problem but go out and check
your tranny code. If it is a tranny with the larger mainshaft then it would
be VERY difficult to install an 8v disk and then slap the tranny back in. At
least that way you can eliminate one factor easily.

>On Wed, 1 May 2002 pbureau@attbi.com wrote:
>
> > humm if you are using an 8v tranny on a 16v engine,
> > would you not be using a 16v dic instead of the 8v disc?
> > or am I confused again?
>Confused ;)
>
>The splines on the transaxle mate with the splines on the disc, the engine
>attaches to the transaxle/disc assembly through the clamping force of the
>pressure plate and flywheel.
>
>So, the clutch disc *splines* have to match the transmission and its
>*diameter* has to match the pressure plate/flywheel combo on the engine.
>
>If its easier to think of it this way, think of the clutch disc as part of
>the transaxle assembly & the PP & flywheel as part of the engine
>assembly. All it matters to the engine really is that the disc is the
>right diameter & thickness.
>
>take care,
>
>Steve
>
>P.S. for the guy with the original problem, maybe take your scirocco disc
>with you to make sure you get the same diameter... I dunno the specs &
>years to tell you what to ask for. I'd guess any 1.8l 8v car.

Chris DeLong
ICQ#45030867
Seattle, WA USA
'80 16V 'Rocco ragtop