my clutch problem: the mechanics input

On Wed, 1 May 2002 pbureau@attbi.com wrote:

> humm if you are using an 8v tranny on a 16v engine,
> would you not be using a 16v dic instead of the 8v disc?
> or am I confused again?
Confused ;)

The splines on the transaxle mate with the splines on the disc, the engine
attaches to the transaxle/disc assembly through the clamping force of the
pressure plate and flywheel.

So, the clutch disc *splines* have to match the transmission and its
*diameter* has to match the pressure plate/flywheel combo on the engine.

If its easier to think of it this way, think of the clutch disc as part of
the transaxle assembly & the PP & flywheel as part of the engine
assembly. All it matters to the engine really is that the disc is the
right diameter & thickness.

take care,

Steve

P.S. for the guy with the original problem, maybe take your scirocco disc
with you to make sure you get the same diameter... I dunno the specs &
years to tell you what to ask for. I'd guess any 1.8l 8v car.

     If you see a mad professor in a minibus, just smile. --James Bond
                      http://westfailure.org