E-brake update

I got around today to check the car and the E-Brake
cable snaped.  One piece is hanging out and the other
part of it near the brake is held by the small clip.
So bascially I need a new cable.  I think I can do it,
but do I need any special tools to remove the drum in
the rear.  Are there any dangers to lifting the car on
grass or inside my garage where it is flat.
I also tried to check my dash bulbs, but I can't seem
to get to them behind the cluster because of a screw.
Do I need to remove the steering wheel?  And what is
your opinion on the upshift light?  Should I fix it or
is it one of those "things" that don't really need to
be fixed?  Another thing the pedal bushing that holds
my accerlator cable keeps sliding out of the bushing,
I jsut put the new bushing a couple of weeks ago.

=====
-Andrew Wong
1984 Black Scirocco(stock)
1987 White Quantum wagon (Stock with auto)
aw614.topcities.com/1984.htm