Need fast response

     I've never seen it, but it might.  Corrosion on the contacts might be the
problem , regardless of the rain.  That could cause an extremely weak spark,
low power and it might account for the higher fuel burn rate if you had it
near full-throttle to keep the rev's at 3000.  Does it sound like it's missing?
I don't think it would hurt to give them a quick cleaning.  Just get the
corrosion off for now, can't hurt and might help.
     Good luck.

Cheers,
Colin