stuck cylinder

Not at all - with the wasserboxer engine (vanagon, not
scirocco) it is fairly common for the piston liner /
cylinder to stick to the cylinder head during removal
due to carbon buildup.  since they lay on their sides
in that type of engine, it is a lot easier to
accidentally pull one up over the piston rings than it
would be in a standard inline 4 cyl engine.

Here is a quote from a really good article that I
didn't read until after the point of no return

http://www.bostonengine.com/articles/waterboxes.html

WORDS TO THE WISE
     Cylinders do get stuck to the head and taping
(hitting) the head just below the exhaust ports with a
plastic compethan mallet helps. Going from side to
side helps to separate the head from the cylinder. You
may need to push the head back in place and start
again if the head moves more than two inches with the
cylinder still attached. The piston in the stuck
cylinder should not be at the bottom of its stroke. DO
NOT pull the head and cylinder off  as one because
piston rings cannot be compressed to put the cylinder
back on until you remove the piston from the engine.
Wrist pins and pin clips are hard to access and remove
even when using the expanding pin tool and the oxy
acetylene torch to soften up the varnish on the pin.

A big OOPS on my part.