Please help, dead scirocco!

check it again. mine did this exact same thing last year at a light; timing
belt wasn't that old (40k miles), looked fine. teeth had sheared from the
bottom of the belt at the crank sprocket-you couldn't tell by looking at it.
make sure your cam timing is still aligned with flywheel timing.
-michael