cross drilled rotors Scott Williams is WRONG!

--- Brett Van Sprewenburg <brett@netacc.net> wrote:
> As I mentioned in one of my posts, most of the tweeking we do to our
street driven cars braking systems don't really matter as we generally
do not drive the cars hard enough for it to make a big difference...
> Tuning it to how you like it can include caliper piston diameters,
> master cylinder diameter, rotor dimensions, pad compounds, etc all
>factor into it.
> However, we probably shouldn't say that changing these items is
> a universal performance enhancement without understanding what
> variables it's affecting, or how the braking system actually works.

A favorite old Physics professor asked us: what stops the car?
Everybody said brakes.  WRONG. It's the road.  And then the tires.  And
then the brakes.  Soo...would not the first performance enhancement we
make (assuming that road conditions are a given) be the tires?  (in
other words, I agree with Brian...upgrading brakes via diamter,
slottings drilling, etc. is probably an excerise in futility unless we
increase the tires grip on the road, assuming there are gains to be
made (i.e., if you're running R1's, you're at max already).

Case in point: doesn't our Mr. Meze run 9.4" unslotted disks on his
autox car?  NO NEED for larger diameter, slots, grooves, holes as his
conditions don't warrant them...common sense, folks...

=====
Cheapass Ron
"Victor" '87 16V Scirocco
"Teufelhasen" '93 Cabby <-For sale

If it ain't foggy, TURN OFF YOUR FOG LIGHTS.