cross drilled rotors Scott Williams is WRONG!

>Bigger rotors do give the caliper much more leverage to work against
>the spinning wheel. You can easily set up your own experiment with a
>spinning bike wheel and see what I mean. What do you think is easier
>to grab and stop, near the hub or near the rim? Also the rotor and
>pad material used in F1 is so exotic we cant even begin to relate a
>tenth of the physics going on there and apply it to our street cars.

I'm going to scan the article now, as I just can't stand this
anymore..The physics of
turning kinetic energy into heat works exactly the same between our
cars and an F1 car.  You are of course correct that
they can use exotic materials to increase their heat handling and
transfer...you are also correct that it's easier to stop
something spinning near the rim, then near the center.  Here's how to
generate the same effect with a smaller rotor:

Press On The Brake Pedal Harder.  No kidding. :)  In other words
create higher clamping load, which may generate more
heat, but then we're back into the heat issues previous discussed.

Once you reach the point of tire lock up (and if you cannot, then you
DO need brake work) you will NOT generate any
more braking force, no matter how far 'out' your caliper is away from
the hub.  Just physics.

>While watching some Tarmac rally last year I remember in a tech
>sidebar they were talking about putting the largest brakes they
>could fit under the wheel in order to cope with the extra braking
>needed. I put more stake in a WRC engineer than a guy racing most
>anything in the US let alone a Saturn.
>
>Jasin
>one cents worth

That 'guy' racing a Saturn is (as I wrote) an engineer creating
braking systems for the Robert
Bosch corporation (we've all probably heard of them) and I only threw
out the fact he was
also a racer as a point to his practical experience.

Yes, this is info on how braking actually works can be suprising and
offensive, as it upsets
several beliefs and notions we (including myself) have had...

==Brett

\/\/ '88 Scirocco 16v (Show), '92 Passat 16v (Winter+) | - brett@netacc.net