My little beastie is sick

That little block is an aluminum heat exchanger.  It lets the water and oil
comfort each other in various ways.  There are like 2 bolts and a gasket
holding it to the engine block, the sensors on the top, a joint between the
box and the round thingy it mounts to, and the filter on the bottom.  Those
are the points that would leak oil.  There are also two water hoses on the
passenger side of it, but if those leak oil, then you have bigger problems.

Anyway, that's what the thing is.  You may need to just take it off and
replace the gaskets and O-rings.