16v assembly trouble

Ok, I'm stumped and require the assistance of the list.

This is a completely rebuilt 1.8 16v. I've installed it in Rolling Roc ('87)
but can't get it to run. Ignition is operating, fuel system is operating.
The only thing left is the valve timing. I've been mixing and matching
things for three days now and I can't get it. I have assumed that the timing
marks on the cam gear indicate TDC. However it appears that the v belt
pulley is 90 deg. from TDC according to the dial indicator in #1 cylinder
and the marks on the flywheel. The v belt pulley is "keyed" so that it can
be installed only one way. What have I missed here? Is the valve timing set
up somewhere other than TDC?

Rick Alexander
http://www.brubakerbox.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/hams/