(OT) For those who tinker with Electronic things

On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 09:43:47PM -0500, Captnbr@aol.com wrote:

>    Being on this list now for 5 years I have learned that there are a lot
>    of very intelligent people on here and I figured I would throw this
>    out to see if anyone can help.
>    I live in a guard gated community. To enter you either use an access
>    card or a remote clicker.  I want a clicker, tired of using the card.
>    Problem is they won't give us anymore cuz we have too many out.  Is
>    there a way to build one of these from radio shack parts?  Anybody
>    know how to go about doing this?  How to capture the radio frequency
>    it uses etc.  Thanks for any help

Coincidently, I used to be an engineer for a company who manufactured gate
operators for gated communities. (Link Controls, who was bought out by
Chamerlain Industries, and became Liftmaster-Link.  We also bought out
Stanley door operators)  Most all the transmitters operate in the 27 Mhz
area, but a few were around 49 Mhz.  You really won't be able to build one
easily, but if you determine the manufacturer of the operator, you can
probably go to a dealer and purchase a remote.  (Unless the installer used
a third-party radio unit.)  The code is set by dip switches inside the
xmitter, you can brute-force try all the cominations, but this is a
probably a waste of time if there are more than 8 positions on the
DIP. (256 combinations).  Additionally, some more expensive recievers have
anti-code rolling protections, but hardly anyone bought those.  REally,
the best way to get one would be to get ahold of an existing remote,
record the model number, and call the manufacturer directly and have them
send you one.  then, open the good remote and set the dip switches on your
new one to match.

Dan

--
Anyone who complains that they're getting laid too often for it to
be cost-efficient really needs to have their head examined.

		-- Cameron Perkins