My update

I am getting the 16V I took over from my son (got him a '97 Gti Vr6)
back in driving condition. Still have the idle problem to fix. Otherwise
I'm putting in a new door panel, motor mount, and have door sill plates
coming to get the interior back to stock.

I took off the air inlet contraption the other day. It's filled with all
kind of gook. Anyway rather then hook up the vacumn line to routh the
hot ait in, I'm thinking about taking it apart and hooking the air inlet
that mounts on the front directly to the air box, sort of a poor man's
ram air design, and do without the hot air intake from the exhaust
manifold. I'm needing to find a 2 5/8" breather hose and haven't been
too fortunate yet.

Any comments and insights are welcome.

On the idle I think I've got all the vacumn lines relaced and in good
order. I checked the intake boot and no cracks or holes in it. I've
sprayed around the injectors and other intake gaskets and don't see a
change. My next step I guess is to check the cold start for leakage and
the fuel injectors. My symptoms are the car hits good on the initial
crank but needs several cranks to actually get it running. I have to
hold it about 1500 rpm's until she warms up to get her ot idle by
herself. After that she idles fine and runs well. Any experiential
inssights are welcome.