Trip To Cheapass Ron's(tm): More Bunny update --Part II

Part II
So now I have a job.. finally. I start Apr 1. Gotta get this car straight
before summer and i start. A 2.0L ABA motor falls into my lap for a great
price and terms of payment with all the parts for the rebuild and some of
it already done. Thanks Ben. So I start makin plans. Mean while Reiger Al,
says hey im _gonna_ do a twin. and what pops up on the rooco.org
classifieds
all in one day 3 88 16v's, and a free 8v. Im thinking whoo hoo. Im set.
Just got that loan check in. So i cruise down to NJ to look at the first
88 its red and well it has a frozen wheel bearing. So i pays da man 550.00
for it.
and it comes with a set of eibach springs, "uninstalled in the box". while
that is true for him. they were used. oh well. lesson learned. It is red
88 and 16v  perfect for cutting up for the twin. The main unibody is
damaged beyond usability passenger side rear quarter panel is pushed in
about 3 inches.

The free 85 8v Im all over that and tell him that I'll take it. And i'll
be up in a week or two to get it. This was suposed to be my parts donor.
So i start looking at trying to rent a van or something with unlimited
miles for towing these cars to julie's who has been gracious enought to
volunteer to store them. So the call goes out to the list for helping with towing.
Rick Alexander answers the call. and our treks across the NE at night
begin.

First we pick up the 85 8v from boston and drop it off at Julies. I get
guilt tripped into giving the car to Julie -- truthfully it wasnt that hard to
do. esp since i know the state of the rear axle on her current driver. hmm.
That gives me an idea. Julie -- after you drop the gas tank. see about
cutting that section out to repair the mk1. esp since the rear axles
are a straight swap. I also did a little guilt trippin of my self and
she's getting color matched hood, fender, and door. You saw the pictures
of Julie getting her car at 1:00am. She is a happy camper.

(coordination for the motor rebuild is happening here too.)

Next the 88 has to be picked up. So I show up at Ricks house. again in the
cabby.motor is getting worse, but the suspension is getting better. I removed
the suspension techniques front sway bar (22-23mm) with poly. wow. my
teeth no longer rattle. We drive down to NJ to get the 88. Getting it onto the
towdolly was an adventure. It was coming up nicely with the come-along
when .. pow it BREAKS. Im thinking damn, wheres the home depot.  Rick is
like. get the cargo straps. so an hour later and much sweating and
swearing the car is on the hook. BTW its offical. Rick is stronger than
me. It is waay late when we get going northbound so the decision is made to stop at his house and he'll deliver
it to julie's house later and send me the bill...
Talking about bills. I didnt mind paying for food, gas, and a token rental
on the towdolly, but the TOLLS. man that was expensive Im not saying that
i wanted Rick to pay it either,please dont misunderstand. I just can believe that
was prolly over a hundred dollars in TOLLS alone. I dont see how they get
away with charging tolls on the INTERSTATE...

So now onto rest of the story.
recap.Bunny running like shit. rides better
Julie has a new 8v that she gets running in short order -- Free
Rick delivers the 88 to julies house.

part III is next.
the suspense is building.
brian