what i found out today--was: i got the new rocc--but....

Major Snippage in my reply. TB

Michael Abatzis wrote:

> >From: Nate Mellom <bronson@inwave.com>
> >Mike,
> >Is this the Rockford Roc?
> >I thought from what I knew the cars story was pretty rock solid.....
> >
> >Nate
>
> sorry for the outrageously long post! i never read these when other people
> write them. i feel bad about that now...

Don't be Sorry.  This is your narrative and it's totally On Topic and
full of real stuff. Be at ease.

> yup, i thought so too. a not-so-brief update: called the kid that sold me
> that car. he said the head was in fact not the p&p'd head, but a rebuilt
> 1.8. he says he told me this. he didn't.

Bastard.

> did a fairly thorough inspection.
> the results:
> body/paint very nice. euro bumpers/lights (no relays!). can't decide if i
> like the kamai grille/eyebrow.

<snip>
> schrick baffled aluminum oil pan, and oil cooler installed. good times.

Yeah!

> a/c didn't work on the way back yesterday -
> observed one of the hoses not hooked up to compressor.

Ummm.

> start to derice-ify the car by ripping out all the red hoses out of engine
> compartment (http://www.jwelty.com/jwelty3/juven-rocco.html) couldn't tell
> what they were covering. i feel a bit better.

Sorry to those who like all that color in there but I'm looking to
replace hoses, with Silicon, but in BLACK. Don't want no Day-Glo in my
motor. <yuck>

> tt downpipe/cat/cat back/borla muffler. good. huge ass 3 inch tips smooshed
> on the end. bad. can't get the damn thing off, notice exhaust not
> surprisingly leaking around the connection. could this be the leak i hear
> under acceleration (but not when parker in neutral for some reason)? it's
> after the muffler, so i'm skeptical...

Sound might still fool you if it comes out a strange place. Think how a
whistle works; nothing when flow is low. Still there might be another
leak somewhere.

> poly bushings all around, bilsteins of some sort. some h&r "softsport" type
> springs. no swaybars. too mushy after my shine setup. can't decide if these
> are good or bad findings. i settle on calling it a draw.

Add both a front & rear bar and this will stiffen up things. Might just
settle into 'right'.

> velocity short shift/limited slip/.80 5th gear. freed up sticky clutch
> cable. these are good things. .80 is soooo choice. don't lose much power,
> car is MUCH quieter, i got >34 mpg at 85-90 mpg! if you have the means, i
> highly recommend it.

I like your experiences with the 5th, Folks- keep in mind it also
matters what your Final Drive is: 3.67, 3.89, 3.94, etc. etc.

> starting to feel depressed. this is looking like more of a project than i
> wanted. i get a beer, then chastise myself for drinking a celebratory "end
> of the day" beer when nothing got done. feel better when i remember that
> it's ok to drink when you're sad too.

8])

> make myself feel better by judiciously meguier-ing the interior. very pretty
> leather corrado seats, rears leather scirocco. mmmmm, leather.
> derice-ify some more by removing "audiosport" and "autotech" stickers from
> side windws. probably lost about 10hp, but worth it :) i feel a bit better.
>
> so the good news: nice body, some good goodies. nice built tranny, engine is
> real smoooooth, i like the seats.
> the bad: hvac controls screwed up, no p/p head, i still don't know what the
> engine really is, the door cards need work (looks like a hack job putting
> them back on), power mirrors/locks don't work.
> ugly: vents are all outlined in what looks to be red nailpolish. yech.

Sounds like the previous owner was more Tranny than Motor. ;])  Good
thing you saved this Roc from his Evil Clutches. heh, heh.

> -michael
> 87 1.8? 2.0? 16v newscirocco gtx (what's a gtx?)
> 88 2.0 furshure wrecked rocco :( <--everything worked

GTX was a model like GTI & GLI. It's what I'm going to call my Mk1 when
it's done. In my mind I'm thinking it this way:

GTI: Original, Performance more than stock.
GLI: Performance plus Plush Cruising
GTX: Performance more than the others, less creature comforts.

I place the GTI in the middle with the GLI on the Luxe side and the GTX
on the 'Pocket w/ More Rocket' side. (This has almost nothing to do with
whatever VW had in mind to begin with.)

TBerk