I hate my shifter

Personally i love the feel of the VW tranny. It's a very clean feel,
(except sometimes a cold 2nd gear).

Adding a short shift kit has been known to highlight problems that
exist in your transmission. IE: if something's buggered your going
to notice it alot more with a short shift kit.

When was the last time you changed the gear oil?

I had some shifting problems.. wouldn't go into first after it had moved
around and stopped etc.. Replacing a couple pieces of the shift linkage
made it very nice again.