Mk1 16v Owners...

From: Benjamin Harder <vwtype53@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 20:57:24 -0800 (PST)

>I need some help on a few issues with my '80 16v conversion...
>
>How do you mount both CIS-E "modules" in the rain tray?  It seems
to be
>a tighter fit that on a mk2, so are there any tricks to getting
these
>to fit nicely?

I mounted the CIS-E box where the Mk.1 ignition module goes.
I mounted the Knock box right next to it, on the wiper
cowl/firewall.
And I mounted the ignition module where the knock box is on a 16V
Scirocco.

>Another vacuum line question... there is a large vacuum line (~
0.5") on the
>Driver's side of my '80 coming from the upper inside of the
fender area.  The
>Bentley says this goes to the "Activated charcoal filter
canister" which
>appears to be tied into the fuel evaporative system.  I assume
that this line
>should be connected to a vacuum source somehow, but where?  I
would assume
>that is would not be a good idea to just remove this canister, as
it would
>affect the fuel system, correct?
>
>Thanks for the help!
>
>=====
>Benjamin Harder
>86 Scirocco 16v
>80 Scirocco
>93 Passat GLX
>
>http://www.geocities.com/vwtype53/

The large tube normally goes to a vaccuum switch by the throttle
body bellows, and the vaccuum switch purges the charcoal canister.

Peter