Master Cylinder question

Straight info on master cylinder bore vs pressure (paraphrased from
an article in GRM):

The pressure generated at the master cylinder is equal to the amount
of force from the
brake pedal output rod divided by the area of the master cylinder piston.

A cylinder diameter of 22mm, has an area of .59 square inches (radius
squared * PI).
At 300 pounds of pedal force (not unreasonable out of the booster)
(300 / 0.59, input
pressure evenly divided over the area, like I stated near the top of
this email) will be
508 pounds per square inch of input rod pressure.

Increasing the master cylinder piston diameter will decrease the
amount of pressure
generated in the fluid for a given input force.  Ie.  25mm MC, has an
area of .75 square
inches.  At 300 pounds of pedal force (300 / .75) will be 400 PSI.
Lower then the above.

Decreasing the MC size works this math in reverse obviously, pressure
goes up as the
bore size decreases.  While this may seem desirable to decrease the
MC bore, the braking
system as a whole will have some compliance, the system has to have
enough additional
fluid on hand to fill all the extra volume caused by the flexing of
components during the
compliance phase. Unfortunately, this is accomplished by increasing
the diameter of the
MC - which we just learned reduces the pressure generated.
Therefore, we have to make
sure the MC has a large enough diameter to meet the fluid volume
requirements of the
system, but is small enough to generate the pressure required.

At some point soon, I'll scan the entire article and post it in the
tech section of
scirocco.org.  It's quite enlightening.  Perhaps the people getting
'better' braking out of
a 25mm MC might be better served with non-rubber brake lines, better
brake piston
seals, more efficient calipers, better brake pads, or stickier tires.
Food for thought.

==Brett

\/\/ '88 Scirocco 16v (Show), '92 Passat 16v (Winter+) | - brett@netacc.net