misinformation rides again!!!!

Very confusing,

I remebmer reading the VW Quantum owners book I have
and it shows the syncro locking diffs.  It also says
that the only time to lock the differentials when it
is wet and is not adivable for dry situations.  I
guess I am okay with the front wheel drive quantum
since I live in FL.
--- Marc Peterson <mpeters6@rochester.rr.com> wrote:
> Here it is described in a more performance mode
> (rally)
> http://www.rallycars.com/Cars/4wd_turbo_cars.html
>
> Note:
> "Before going further I would like to warn you on
> some manufacturer's
> marketing policies. Not all cars advertised as 4
> wheel drive are really 4WD.
> Volkswagen and Audi sell cars advertised as 4WD
> which, in fact, are not full
> time 4WD. Cars such as the VW Golf Synchro, 4Motion
> and Audi A3, S3, TT as
> well as the Seat Leon (all of which share the same
> platform and engines)
> have engine torque sent to the rear wheels only in
> case front wheel spin is
> detected. The above mentioned cars use a Haldex type
> clutch center
> differential which is only activated when the front
> wheels spin and always
> deactivated when braking. If you're in the market
> for a full time 4WD car
> you might want to avoid such models and go for the
> real thing."
>
> Marc

=====
-Andrew Wong
1984 Black Scirocco(stock)
1987 White Quantum wagon (Stock with auto)
aw614.topcities.com/1984.htm