16V ignition timing

--=======A02182A=======

At 10:38 PM 3/10/02 -0500, Corey Muscavitz wrote:

>well, tonight i got to toying around with the ign. timing on my stock
>16v.  i tried to figure where 6* BTDC is.  i couldn't find the timing mark
>on the bellhousing.  so, is the mark near the middle of hte hole?  also
>which way is advance, and which way is retard?  me thinks it is retard to
>the front, and advance to the rear...  am i right?  well, i think it's
>running a little better now, even though the idle is still a little
>odd.  but oh well.
>thanks
>corey
>88 16v
>82 'green machine'

I'm not sure how you are looking for it, but this is how I usually do
it.  I put a rachet on the crank pulley and turn slowly until my helper
sees the notch and then stop.  I a little whiteout or paint will keep that
thing visible for quite a while.  If you don't have a helper, put the car
in gear and while looking down the timing hole roll the car slowly
until you see that notch.

Good luck

John C. Worden
Bucksport, Maine

'98 Dakota 4x4-Just rolled 100K
'86 Scirocco 8V-
'81 Scirocco 2.0 16V -
'78 Scirocco Brazil Brown Metallic,  4 speed.