We've been Gipped!

Hey folks.  Will i find the same stuff on my MK2?  Is this the gooey black
sealant/wax stuff on all VW's, or is it meant to be glue to hold the fender
on there, or what?

I'm basically wondering what will happen to this stuff if I decide to have
my car dipped for paint removal  - which I still haven't sold myself on
anyway.

BH