bad 16v 1.8 Head?

There is a good possibility that this is true.  I have seen heads that had
pitting to the point that they were iffy, 16v and 8v.  I can understand a
shop not wanting to use this head for two reasons:  1.  Don't want to
warranty it if they are right.  2.  They want him to buy another head so
they can make more money.  As a technician, both of these can be true at the
same time also.  Since we are usually paid flat rate or commission, we don't
want to have to do a job over for free!!  Plus, the more the customer wants
to do, the more money the tech makes.  Some shops even pay a commission on
upselling parts!

Dave