[sunroof] the self-proclaimed guru.....

ooops, I meant to update this thread....

I found it....stripped gear where it goes into the cable housing.

Your (Ian's) analysis is partially correct....

yes, the lithium grease was binding the system, silicone spray did
WONDERS....

as for the Bentley procedures.....they're not right.
yes, I know, how dare I blasphemy the Bentley in such manner...BUT, having
messed with the thing for weeks now, I've got it all fingered out.

Notes to all:
YOU CAN SLIDE THE PINS AROUND FREELY IF YOU'RE OUT OF PARALLEL ADJUSTMENT.
Just drop the handle gear out of the hole and slide away. Of course, don't
force ANYTHING in there, when you reach a certain point, you have to lift
the roof, then the pins will move. I'm just disputing the need for *special
VW tool blah blah blah* and their line in the book that says in bold
letters...DO NOT MOVE ONLY ONE SIDE (or something like that).

Line up the PIN with the arrows on the guides and you should be at
zero-point. Make sure the handle gear is at zero-point and place back in the
hole.

The cables are the same that VW uses for windows in Bugs, Rabbits,
etc...DON'T BUY THEM FROM THE DEALER OR YOU WILL GET RIPPED.

Silicone works wonders.

Thanx to all for their input. Especially the silicone.

Dan (happily cranking away)
Tam-pa, FL
'87 16v Scirocco
'81 Rabbit Sportruck