The '85 lives! But needs help.

Thats right folks. Its running. Not well, but it runs. I changed the plugs,
wires and cap as a start, the battery is shot. The interior is beautiful, I
cleaned it and even had that weird nut & bolt for the seat rail.( How sick
is that!)
But the engine bay? Gross. It still has the original factory dirt. The PO
took care of the outside and the inside, but the engine bay is rusty and
filthy. It will take a few days to clean it up and replace the vac hoses and
rusted fixtures.
It has a 35mm TB at the moment. But not for long. The 50 will go in with the
85mm air flow plate.

Here are a few problems I have found today.
1) The shifter is not hitting the gears correctly. Its hard to get into
reverce, then even harder to find first. It feels tight, but maybe not
adjusted correctly?
2) The rpm is high (2k) when running at idle with limited rpm range. It has
no high end rpm, and low power. Any ideas?