Visa to get into the US

     I can't comment on going from Russia to US, but from Canada to "scheduled
countries" (Syria, former Yugoslavia, etc) we needed to allow about 2 months.
I would guess going in the other direction is pretty similar.  Basically, he
needs to get himself and his passport to the nearest US embassy and fill out the
forms.  Then he gets to wait.  Again, my experience doesn't cover this specific
instance, but I would think a US mission (if he isn't in Moscow) would work
equally well.  Otherwise (no mission, no embassy) he needs to mail things in
and I would guess at least 2-3 months planning in advance is needed.  How much
does he trust the local postal system with his passport?
     Also depends on type and duration of visa.  If he's just visiting (for
Cincy?) for  couple weeks, shouldn't be that tough.  If he's planning to get a
green card so he can stay and get a job, I've heard it's a lot easier to get to
Mexico and get the green card from the embassy there.  He could probably expect
(from friends from southeast Asia who did this) to be in Mexico a couple months
at least.
     Good luck.

Cheers,
Colin