Painting/dying Recaro's

Sounds like you are describing the Recaro interior from the very low
production Helios Blue Wolfsburg Edition Jetta GLI. Those are very uncommon
seats, but still that pattern must be dreadful to match with any other
interior pattern.

As for Dying or recovering, that all depends on your standards. I have only
seen one decent restich. It was done on a local PDX car for sale a few
months ago advertised on the VWvortex. Here is the link to Dean's page where
he goes into detail about getting the job done:
http://www.vdubn.com/vw/77rabbit/interior/Front_seats.jpg
The tough part is getting the fabric to lay correctly on the foam. The other
tough part is getting a quality fabric. Yet another tough part is finding
someone that can do a decent job on automotive seats that don't belong in a
Bronco or in a boat.

But since you've got $50 seats, you've got nothing to lose. There is fabric
dye available that won't come off on your clothing. Just go to an upholstery
shop.

Good luck. Document your job with photo's and then let us know how it turned
out.
Diamond Dave
88 Scirocco http://scirocco16v.com/profiles/david_b.htm
84 Jetta GLI