[16v] High Idle

 Well, the mk1 16v is coming along quite well... I set the idle mixture
to around 10mA (not too rich for emissions test) and then checked the
timing to verify ~6 degrees advance.  Lastly, I wanted to fine-tune the
idle to get it just below 1,000 rpm.  I turned the idle screw in to lower
the idle and when the screw was all the way in, the idle was still over
1k.  I can't get the idle to go lower!  The reason I am concerned is that
when I richen the idle mixture, the idle goes even higher...
 So, any thoughts on this one?  I tried to adjust the TB rest point, but
no luck there?  Could this be a vacuum related issue?

Thanks for any thoughts!

=====
Benjamin Harder
86 Scirocco 16v